two people, one dog, and one baby figuring out life in Hawaii

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Some Adventures in the Pacific Northwest

With only a few months left to enjoy the Pacific Northwest (especially before the weather goes bad), Kenny and I have been attempting to pack in as much Pacific Northwest as possible. The weekend before the wedding, Kenny and I hiked Sharpe Road. We might have gotten a wee bit lost along the way... but we eventually found our way back. Then it was off to dinner at the Skagit Brewery for a little dinner with my sorority sister/former roommate Megan Maupin.

Gorgeous scenery...
The little person down there is Kenny...
We are LOST! (but then we found our way)
Maupin (isn't she pretty!) and I!

This past weekend when the weather cleared up, Kenny and I decided to go over to San Juan Island to poke around. Kenny had yet to venture to San Juan, and I have been twice (woops). We thought about renting mopeds, but after hearing that they were $60 per hour, I said, "Let's BIKE the island!" Silly me! We biked 6.5 GORGEOUS, HILLY miles to the American Camp State Park on the island where we ate our lunch and rested our legs. Then we biked back to the ferry terminal where we enjoyed a much needed beer. As in, the beer is the only way I had enough motivation to make it back up those hills. Then we got back on the ferry (during which I my bike took a bite out of my shin), and we decided that we were pooped and our hinies hurt BADLY! However, the gorgeous day made up for any pain.

This is at the turn around point. We are happy we made it to our destination!
The last hill we walked before we made it to the turn around point.

The American Camp (There is a fox behind the 25 mph sign... too close for comfort!)
Our beers and our resting spot as we looked out at the ferry dock.
The pretty sight as we made our way into Anacortes.

To say the least, we have enjoyed the outdoors here greatly and will miss them whenever the Navy tells us to leave! (My bike will not be leaving the garage for a bit though. I think my hiny will refuse to get on it for a bit.)

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm with you...biking can definitely give you a "bootie ache"!! Glad y'all had fun! :) Isn't it nice to have a hubbby around to do things with?!