two people, one dog, and one baby figuring out life in Hawaii

Friday, January 29, 2010

One bite of the elephant at a time...




When Kenny and I were planning our wedding and I was feeling super overwhelmed with the wedding, grad school, getting ready to move, becoming a real adult, etc., he told me that I couldn't eat the whole elephant at once. He said that I had to take it one bite at a time. Now of course, he doesn't remember this poignant conversation like I do, but nonetheless, it is something I seem to be reminding myself a lot lately!

Kenny leaves tomorrow for his last detachment. This time, I can say last with a little more certainty as he detaches from the squadron in April which is the month he comes back. This means, that we will pack up, and he will move in May. Then I will wrap up school and leave after graduation on June 11th. This means that I have got a super long list to get done during his two months away. You know, that whole getting a job thing... it takes a wee bit of work. But as I told my dear friend this week, you have to take it one step at a time, just take a little nibble of that elephant at a time.

So for anyone feeling a little bit overwhelmed, your lesson for today is this: you can't eat the whole elephant at once! One bite at a time, my friends. One bite at a time!

And please keep Kenny in your prayers!

7 comments:

the bee said...

will be thinking of you and kenny! but i like that when kenny leaves we get to play...

Anonymous said...

don't panic ( another way of saying don't eat the whole elephant)) You will miss Kenny BUT WOW what an opportunity to look ahead...take a deep breath..and plan for the next chapter. You will handle everything with grace as you has done before. These deployments are both a blessing and a curse...make the most of your time and know that prayers are not just with kenny, but WITH you as well. Hugs.

Beth said...

With a new baby and some sleepless nights I've been telling myself this same thing (ok so not exactly cause' the "elephant" comparison is new to me, kudos to kenny on that one) but reminding myself I can't tackle all that is ahead in the next couple of hours or even days...sometimes we just have to take what is right in front of us and deal with that as best we can. I know for you that is Kenny leaving tomorrow and for that I am sorry...it sucks, it's no fun, but at least it is the LAST time!! I know you will make it, and not only survive but thrive as you plan for ya'lls upcoming move HIP HIP HOORAY!!! I'll be thinking of you and praying for you that the time passes quickly! Miss you mucho' and love ya'!

molly said...

you can do it! i LOVE the elephant analogy. i have now adopted that for the remainder of my deployment.

you are so strong and so amazing and continually an inspiration to me all the time.

my thoughts are with you and kenny and for these next few months as you prepare for the move.

and p.s. we can have a "trial run" homecoming at the end of march together. you can practice jumping up and down on the pier, and i'll practice jumping up and down on the ship and it will be a good trial run for our respective homecomings with our hubbies. sound good? SEE YOU IN WASHINGTON!!!

Roxanne said...

Molly! Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment. Love is a beautiful thing. Which I know makes Kenny's absence all the more painful. I have prayed for you and Kenny. And I'm also thanking God, in advance, for wrapping you both up in His loving arms of protection and drawing you closer to Him. A big hug to you Molly!

Meg Foster said...

tell Kenny that I share his elephant analogy with each of my classes -- I use it in the goal setting chapter. He's a pretty amazing guy. We love you both! And, we're here to cheer you on. Oh, and the offer still stands for Maeve, Will and I to help with the move :).

Mom said...

One bite at a time with a list to help you remember what bites you have taken and what you have left is a good way to approach such upheaval.