two people, one dog, and one baby figuring out life in Hawaii

Saturday, December 22, 2012

One chapter ends...

Some of us know what we want to be from a young age. I always wanted to be a teacher except for the one year I wanted to be a dairy farmer having never seen a cow up close and personal. I am special. I know. What can I say? Middle school is a confusing time!

I obviously haven't been in my classroom for almost three weeks since being put on bed rest, but yesterday I returned to clean it out. (don't worry, I sat and directed Kenny to grab stuff). I thought I would have been way more emotional about it. Pregnancy alone should have made me a sobbing mess or just being grateful to be out of the house and see other surroundings should have had me in tears, right?  Then I had some time to reflect (because I have a lot of time) and I came up with some pretty awesome thoughts I wanted to share...

1. God gives us great gifts to share with others. Teaching though does not have to just be confined to the walls of a school, so I can still share my gift. (please read that without the arrogance that could come across).

2. God also knows what we need and provides for us. I knew leaving my students would be so difficult, and by being on bed rest, I got to do so gradually. I was able to send them a letter explaining everything, and that allowed them to process and be able to write sweet letters back.

3. God knows us better than we know ourselves. I only know how to give 100% to my kids. God knew I needed to shift my focus to my most important kid, Baby V. He made me take time out to do so and spend some quality time savoring our little family before the big (or little) addition arrives.

4. Lastly, I have the most awesome journey to begin in being a mom, and every day I will be teaching her (and not just about Thomas Jefferson, I promise).  I will hopefully teach her important things like sharing love with others, that God is always there, and respect your mother and father :). That one momma b and daddy b certainly taught us.

So although I won't be in a classroom, my journey as a teacher isn't done. It has really just begun. The next chapter is starting. My greatest pupil just hasn't arrived quite yet....


2 comments:

Beth said...

You are going to be a fabulous Mama!! Such a lucky little lady to have you and Kenny for parents!

Pembs said...

These are beautiful thoughts, beautifully written. I'm going through some changing thoughts about teaching---NOT baby induced ;)--and can empathize with some of your sentiments. You will be an AMAZING mama, I just know it. Heck, you taught me a whole lot just by existing, so I can only imagine what you will do with purpose.