two people, one dog, and one baby figuring out life in Hawaii

Saturday, March 13, 2010

So four years ago around this time...

*** There are no pictures that can illustrate this because I did not want my mother to know at the time, but after 4 years, I think it is okay to admit to this story.***

I went on my final spring break of college and my final spring break in Corpus Christi, TX. Living in the Chi Omega Sorority house had its advantages such as borrowing clothes, hanging with some cool chicks, and having an awesome suite. However, it also had the major excitement/pressure of being one of the sisters who might get engaged while in college. Before I went on spring break, all the talk was about how Kenny would definitely be popping the question. I kept saying that I really didn't think he would do it until after graduation, but the buzz around the house was that it was totally happening. (At least that is how I felt).

So I get to Corpus, Kenny knows that all I want to do is go to the beach, so he has put together a picnic lunch for us. Now this wasn't just any picnic lunch, it was HEB chicken salad on amazing HEB rolls with diet Sunkist, so basically my favorite things. And if you don't know about HEB, you are missing out in life. So I started to get nervous as we ate and enjoyed the sun and began to think "this is it, this is it, this is it." We were out on the beach with lots of talk about the future. Kenny was getting ready to get his wings and move. I was getting ready to graduate and was awaiting acceptance to grad school. Due to my nervousness, I forgot to put on sunscreen. I mean, how can a girl concentrate on a silly thing like sunscreen when this man of her dreams MIGHT propose. Also, we were going to go meet his grandparents and aunts and uncles that week, and I kept thinking that maybe Kenny would want them to meet me as his fiance. Well needless to say, he did not pop the big question, but that night, my face started to get red from the sun exposure. By the next morning, my face was swollen and beat red from being sunburned. It was awful. I was literally rubbing aloe on my face nonstop. I have definitely learned my lesson in terms of sunscreen.

So instead of getting a ring that week, I got a wicked sunburn, but the plus was that when I met his grandparents with a red face, I couldn't blush terribly which I can do on a dime. And they liked me despite my tomato face.

When I returned from Spring Break, a few of my sorority sisters were a little bummed that it didn't happen, but we all got our wish a month later. Kenny surprised me by knocking on the Chi Omega door when he was supposed to be in San Antonio playing golf with his buddies. And the rest is history!

And because a post without pictures is boring... Here we are moments after I said, "Am I old enough to do this, I mean, yes!"
And the gorgeous ring and roses :)

5 comments:

molly said...

awww i love this post! so cute and what fun memories- i'm so glad we could all be there to celebrate your engagement with you too!

and i had the same experience a month before dan actually proposed-do you think that they plan this to get us all psyched out?

see you in a WEEK! i'm so excited!

the bee said...

i can remember standing at the top of the steps waiting for you to answer the door and we all got so excited upstairs when it was a man's voice instead of bri!

p.s. you should be a hand model.

Nate said...

My how my Kenny has grown up!

Anonymous said...

my goodness, fun looking back...and to think we all knew when he was going to pop the question except you! It was an amazing feat that our family kept a secret!and we're so glad you said YES!

Kristin said...

I love this story!