two people, one dog, and one baby figuring out life in Hawaii

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

How I have become my mother...


When we were little and it was Mother's Day, we would take the very special woman (mom) out to eat. Sometimes we would go to this place called Surfrider. There my mother would get to have whatever she wanted on the menu, and she would normally choose a head of steamed broccoli. I remember this distinctly as a child because all I could think of was, "YUCK!!! Why in the world would she want to eat THAT!" Now it was Mother's Day, so I am sure that her three children never verbalized their disgust with her choice (yeah right). The children of course (along with Dad) would get yummy things like hamburgers and french fries. Oh the heavenly french fries which we willingly shared with the honoree!

However, now I have become my mother. I LOVE that I can eat as many heads of steamed broccoli I want when Kenny is gone. It is a perfect single ladies meal, and I can now understand why that was such a special treat for my mom.

So thanks mom for passing that on to me. Now I will go eat my head of broccoli, YUM!

4 comments:

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen said...

oh man...i know how you feel...i could eat a whole head of broccoli AND one of cauliflower...mmmm

Willcox Family said...

I think this is funny. I still have to muscle down broccoli when it is around, but give me a twix and its gone in two seconds.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I have been a healthy influence. Of course, you left out the part about the hollendaise sauce which has eggs and butter and healthy lemon in it.

Molly Hammond said...

i feel the same way about broccoli and asparagus!