two people, one dog, and one baby figuring out life in Hawaii

Saturday, July 30, 2011

I survived hurricane Don

On my own. It was rough waiting, waiting, and waiting some more for the storm to come. Especially since it didn't come. We had NO rain. Poor Texas just wants a drink of water.

Not to worry. Daisy and I survived by making dinner and having friends over. Yes, you read that correctly, I made dinner. Please don't faint. I made spicy eggplant with couscous which was awesome. My friend and I watched Lincoln Lawyer with Matthew McConaughey which was really rather good.

Daisy and her friend Lucky ran laps outside and played continuously. I think they only sat when Daisy would steal poor Lucky's toy and hold it hostage underneath her paw. She did share all of her toys and bed, but she does covet other puppies toys. Guess there needs to be a lesson on sharing in this house. I choose Kenny for that lesson.

Back to the hurricane. I decided that I should go to Target and make sure I had school supplies before the hurricane hit. No not really, I just wanted to go to Target to get more of the Pretty Little Liars series of books. However, if I say I am getting school supplies, then don't you feel badly for me that I already have to go back to school? Don't you feel like I deserved 2 new teen reads? Yeah, me too.

Here is my loot. (Not to worry, Mom. I did buy non-perishables like you told me too and plenty of bottled water for Daisy and me.)

Bags and bags of spiral notebooks for 20 cents each!
My sharpies to grade 8th grade work and write things like, "FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!" over and over. A good pen is necessary. And Daisy's bone that got a wee bit destroyed last night!
A little UVA pendant since my school has all of these other school pendants but not UVA. They have lots of Texas schools, Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, and Norfolk State... how does that make sense?

Also, I was feeling guilty as I had dropped off Daisy to get her haircut at Petco. We were trying a new place since we haven't been pleased with the other places. She literally shook the whole time she waited to get taken back and laid flat on the ground as soon as it was her turn. They had to scoot her in while she put her front paws out and the Petco person pushed from behind. I needed a little retail therapy to get over my guilt of torturing her with a bath and haircut.

Daisy looks good though. Best haircut yet!

Now we wait for Kenny to get home because he fled to Lubbock in a T-44 because of the hurricane. Don't worry. I am buying myself flowers today for surviving the storm all by my lonesome and cleaning the whole house while Kenny golfs. :)

3 comments:

carolyn said...

It was only today that I realized that you were in for a big storm, and in typical fashion, the " fleet' or 'squadron' moves to safety and leaves the dependents BEHIND! Ah yes, Navy life! Glad you and Daisy weathered the weather quite nicely. Phil and I saw "sarah's key" today and it did not disapoint..never as good as the book, BUT pretty good, lots of sniffles and wiping of tears!

msbuchanan said...

So glad that you both survived the storm and Daisy's haircut. She looks lovely. Such brave women, guarding the home front.

the bee said...

cute uva flag! and totally necessary.