two people, one dog, and one baby figuring out life in Hawaii

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The half-marathon!

Kenny and I ran the Seattle half-marathon on Sunday. We had been training for the October one down in Portland, but alas, Kenny didn't get home in time. So after our lovely turkey day at our friend's, the Mumbach's, we geared up for our LONG run.

We stayed in downtown Seattle right near the Space Needle since that is where the race started. We didn't sleep so well since we could hear the man next door snoring. Not cool, but I am not sure that I would have slept that well anyway since I was a wee bit anxious!

So Sunday morning we woke up, ate our breakfast, stretched our legs, and put on our timing anklets that looked like those anklets that kids under house arrest used to wear.

Here we are getting ready to leave for the race. Kenny sported his super, cool Nike sweatband, and I represented good ol' UVA and Cox High School (attempting to look like a runner!).

There were over 12000 people that ran this race! It was pretty much packed running for the whole time. There was never a time where it really "thinned" out that much. We did see two people who were hooked up to IV's and with oxygen which was pretty scary. But otherwise, we made it. You might be wondering if I thought it was fun... that would be a no. I felt accomplished afterwards and like I never needed to do that again! Kenny was my biggest cheerleader as at one point I thought my hiny was so clinched that I wouldn't be able to move and especially when the last quarter of a mile was a really mean, steep hill! I would also like to thank God since I said the Lord's Prayer a couple dozen times getting me through those last two miles! We can now say we did it!

Here are the after pictures with our finisher medals. Mine is fuzzy which is kind of how I felt, so very appropriate!


Thanks for all the encouragement and support from friends and family!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Y'all are my hero's! :) So proud of you both! You look like such professionals, maybe you should take this on as a full time hobby! :) You could be "The running Vaughns"! P.S. Love the new blog look, aren't you clever!