two people, one dog, and one baby figuring out life in Hawaii

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Trip to Olympia

As a graduate student, I was told to never expect to go on a field trip. Well boy were they wrong. We have already taken our kids on three this year and have one more during May. This past Wednesday, my colleagues and I took 10 kids down to Olympia (Washington's state capital) to have a tour. Although my students are just taking World History when the school only has 12 full-time students, you take them all!

So we got up at 5:10 to make it to school by 6am to leave school by 6:15am. Now, my friend, Candie, and I decided that we would go in my car since we all couldn't fit in the 15 passenger van. Well when two students didn't show up, technically we COULD have all fit in the van, but we quickly hopped in my car and got going to avoid being stuck in a van with stinky high school students! We started driving behind the van - pictured below, but we quickly realized that the driver was swaying in the lane. We soon became the lead car.
The capital is about 3 hours away from where we live, so getting there was a long trip. However, Candie and I were all alone in the car, so we had a great three hour trip!

We met up with the students and went on a tour of the Capital building getting to see the legislative building including both Senate and Representative Chambers. We came at the end of the legislative session, so it was a busy busy time! We were fortunate enough to meet both Island County representatives and chat with them briefly.The inside of the capital is beautiful with five different types of marble and a gold chandelier that has survived 5 earthquakes.We then made our way over to the Temple of Justice where the kids got to do a short mock court as though they were the Washington State Supreme Court. Finally, we got to take a brief tour of the Governor's mansion that was gorgeous, but sadly no photos are allowed of the inside. It was a great day, but boy was I tired afterwards. And, I think I had forgotten that high school boys smell when they have been walking around all day. P. U.!

Here are some of the kids looking oh so excited...
And these two were kind of an item for like 5 minutes....
My parting note is that no offense to these west coast people, but I am really partial to my east coast capitals! How can you compete with Richmond... you cant. But nice try Olympia!

No comments: